Mar 2, 2020
In this week's episode of The Grocery Insider, in association
with HRA Global, we speak to Sian Edmunds from Burges Salmon
Introduction to CBD and Sian Edmunds from Burges Salmon
- 0 mins
Previous FSA rules on CBD - 5 mins
- What were the ‘rules’ on CBD products prior to the
FSA announcement - for instance, the January 2019 FSA position and
the European Commission designation of CBD as novel foods?
- Were people paying attention to these rulings?
- And a curveball or those who have switched off from
the Brexit ‘debate’, will EC designated novel foods stay novel
foods post-December, assuming the UK withdrawal from the EU runs to
- Will companies have to resubmit products to the
Latest news from the FSA - 9 mins
- In a nutshell, what was the FSA’s ruling?
- Quality test?
- Should some consumer groups be careful?
- Is this ruling the same for nutraceuticals,
pharmaceuticals, health & beauty?
Products ready to launch and health claims - 13
- What should companies with Food and Drink products
in the market do? What should brands with products with products in
the wings, but not launched yet do?
- Health claim regimes? Are we going to see products
limiting what they can claims?
Local Authorities, Enforcement, and impact on CBD market
- 18.45 mins
- Are Local Authorities resourced and equipped to
enforce the ruling - will any enforcement action have teeth?
- Beyond the ruling itself, we can infer about the
FSA thinking on how they want to influence the development of the
A grey area and space for innovation - 23
- What’s your view of the ruling on the development
on CBD category in terms of investors, products, competition,
safety standards? What changes can we expect?
- The grey area within the market?
- Is there a case that the brands that do remain
could be more innovative, more radical having bagged their novel
The future of CBD products in the UK market - 28.30
- Could we see the development of an OTC CBD category
with higher dosages and more functional healthcare
- Some of the trade feel that there is a certain
inevitability about a loosening of regulations around cannabis more
generally, can you see a time when the UK follows the US and
Canadian model with Cannabis edibles?
- Food firms listening - what’s the one thing they
need to be getting on with now to anticipate when these regulations
will start to bite?
If you would like to feature on the podcast or have any
questions, get in touch email@example.com