Apr 17, 2020
In this week's episode of The
Grocery Insider, in association with HRA Global, we speak to wine
industry consultant, Simon Thorpe MW.
0 - 8:43 Introduction to Simon
- Simon started at Fortnum and Mason and moved into
the buying team at Waitrose.
- Gaining his MW qualification.
- Using his extensive experience to set up a
consultancy for the wine industry.
8:43 - 17:05 The MW qualification and Simon's buying
- Simon talks us through the requirements of the MW
qualifications and his experience.
- Think back to your old job selecting wine for Waitrose, what
advice would you give to your former self?
17:05 - 24:45 The innovation of gin and craft
- It’s one of the truisms of wine at the moment that the
innovation in Gin and Craft beer has left Wine behind, why do you
think that is?
- How the lockdown is affecting our relationship with
- What will change with the on trade environment at the end of
24:45 - 29:47 Australian wine
- What about Australia and South Australia in particular - are
there any producers over there that we should watch out for?
- What impact have the bush fires had?
29:47 - 32:30 European wine
- French producers in particular make some very fine products but
others in the market say they ave a lot to lose, how do you see the
prospects for french producers?
32:30 - 43:00 The new dawn
- Which wine companies out there do you admire and why?
- Important factors of players who can face the current
challenges and who can remain sustainable.
- How do you see the battle between 'new world' and 'old world'
wine playing out?
43:00 Challenges in the future
- What are the biggest challenges that the wine industry is
facing and can it get through it?
If you would like to feature on
the podcast or have any questions, get in